It took me a couple of weeks to pick the map up again, after the struggle with the blending filament.
But I did. I managed to trick myself by saying I would “just” do the fish, and then that part of the globe would be done, back-stitching excepted. That seemed perfectly doable: a one-evening task.
So I got on with it and got it done.
And then I decided it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to get all the back-stitching for this part done, so it was completely complete and then I could move on to the other half. And, also, so I don’t have to come back to it at the end. It’d be done, and that’d be it.
Of course, I was helped by Radio 3’s repeat broadcast of the Royal Opera House’s 2018 Ring Cycle, which kept me happily on the sofa for fifteen hours over four evenings with nothing much else to do but stitch. I never can resist a Ring Cycle.
I’m now feeling quite a sense of achievement, having completed it. I begin to feel like I might actually be able to finish the whole thing. As long as I don’t think about the other parts which will require the blending filament. I’m not sure yet how I’m going to break up the border images, though. It doesn’t really have easily identifiable sections. But I’m continuing with the other half of the globe first: the border is Future Me’s problem.